November 2012: BREAST OF PHEASANT IN FOIL WITH APPLES
An ideal dish for using up windfalls and as the pheasant season comes upon us!
What you will need
- 4 pheasant breasts approx 140g each
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced
- 2 medium apples cored and peeled
- 4 sage leaves
- 8 tblsp port or vermouth
- double cream
How to cook
- Cut 4 pieces of foil 25 cm x 30 approx. and lightly butter the centre.
- Sprinkle on the chopped shallot then place each breast in the middle.
- Slice the apples thinly and place on the top of the breasts neatly.
- Season with salt and pepper and place a sage leaf on top.
- Sprinkle over the port and wrap up loosely but enclosed .
- Bake at 170 gas 3 for 20 minutes.
- Loosen the foil enough to allow the juices to pour into a small pan. Add a couple of table spoons of double cream and simmer to just thicken slightly.
- Season and serve with celeriac puree or braised leeks
Buying fresh Fish It may come as a surprise to many in the south but sourcing really good fresh fish can be problematic here in MORE >
Etive Restaurant with rooms
I was helping my wife the photographer Caroline Trotter to do a “shoot” she had over on the west coast at what was the Taynuilt MORE >