Twice baked cheese souffle wild garlic sauce
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- small onion or onion trimmings
- 215 ml milk
- Grated nutmeg
- Bay leaf
- 42g butter
- 42g plain flour
- 100g cream cheese or soft goats cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- Trotter’s wild garlic pesto
- 10ml double cream
HOW TO COOK
- Turn the oven to gas 5 190C.
- Put the milk, onion, nutmeg and the bay leaf in a pan and just bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and infuse.
- Melt butter in a pan and add flour, cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk through a sieve into the pan and cook over a low heat until thick, stirring well.
- Add the cheese and beat until melted into the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the yolks.
- Whisk the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Add a quarter of the whites to the mixture and gently mix in, then return the mixture to the egg whites and fold through, with a spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into 6 darioles or ramekins lined with cling film.
- Place in a tray of hot water ( bain marie) and cook for about 15 minutes in the centre of the oven gas 6 until risen and lightly browned. Leave to cool.
- When ready to serve, turn out the souffles and place in a suitable baking dish.
- Mix about 4 tsp Trotter’s wild garlic pesto with the cream, depending on your taste! Pour over souffles.
- Bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned and risen.
Buying fresh Fish It may come as a surprise to many in the south but sourcing really good fresh fish can be problematic here in MORE >
Etive Restaurant with rooms
I was helping my wife the photographer Caroline Trotter to do a “shoot” she had over on the west coast at what was the Taynuilt MORE >